Selling your home without a realtor is exciting, daunting, and doable, as long as you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and learn along the way. Many people choose to sell their own homes to avoid fees and realtor commissions and have complete control over the process. But to be successful, you’ll need to take a page or two from a professional realtor’s book.
Learn how to sell your own house by reading below.
How to Sell Your Own Home:
- Select a Sale Price — First, you’ll need to determine what price at which you’d like to list your home. Take a look at the homes recently sold in your surrounding area. What was their list price? Do these homes compare to yours? Better, worse, similar?
- List Your Home —After choosing your list price, you’ll need to list your home. Select several websites where you’d like to list your home online. These types of sites typically charge a small percentage or a flat fee. Additionally, add a “For Sale” sign in the front of your house with your contact information.
- Be Available and Wait — Be available to show your home and answer questions potential buyers might have. Keep a flexible schedule, so you don’t miss a sale.
- Consider an Attorney — If the contracts and paperwork are too overwhelming, consider hiring a real estate attorney to help you with the fine print and small details of your sale.
- Close the Sale — Lastly, when you receive an offer, and you and the buyer agree on the price and terms, the closing process will require an escrow or title company.
Tips for Selling Your Own Home:
Choose Your Market — Is the current market a buyers’ market or sellers? What time of year is it? Ideally, you would list in the late spring, early summer, in a sellers’ market.
Prepare Your Home — Get your home sale-ready by doing any repairs and renovations necessary. After that, spruce up the exterior as needed to increase its curb appeal. You want your home to make a good impression on buyers, as well as pass inspection.
Hire a Professional Photographer — The sale of your home might be a DIY project. Still, you may want to consider hiring a professional photographer to take pictures of your home. Homes with professional photos tend to sell faster and for a better price.
Hire a Professional Stager — If your home is empty or the furniture in your home doesn’t showcase it well, you may want to hire a company to stage your home. Research shows that staged houses sell for more money sooner.
Hire a House Cleaner — Cleaning your entire home all at once is a big undertaking. If you don’t have the time, but do have the money, consider hiring a house cleaning service.